Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Pity Bread & Healing Soup!

It's one of those days today.

While on this journey to get myself a bebe, I've found that PCOS is a lot like being pregnant. (well, at least it is in my case.)

Currently, I am taking two heavenly (can you hear the sarcasm?) medications, Clomid and Metformin. Together these lovely (there it is again) little pills are putting this body of mine through the ringer! Here are some of the great side effects from both of them:

Nausea
Absolutely HORRIBLE hot flashes
Acne
Stomach cramps
Lightheadedness
Blurred vision
Diarrhea
Abdominal pain
Lethargy
Joint and muscle soreness


Now these are just the ones I have noticed so far. How ironic is it that I get to experience all of these things without being pregnant!

I bet you are jealous.

In reality, it isn't all that bad. The Mister keeps me pretty comfy and very happy. He knows just what to say to make me feel better.

I'm such a lucky gal.

In honor of my feeling sucky, I made two of my favorite things! Banana Bread & Chicken Noodle Soup!

First, we have the bread:

INGREDIENTS
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon table salt
3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Take a 9X5 inch loaf pan and grease it with butter.
3. Take a large bowl and whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
4. In another bowl mix well bananas, yogurt, eggs, melted butter and vanilla and blend all of them well.
5. Gently mix the wet and dry ingredients well.
6. Put the batter in pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes till a knife inserted comes out clean.
7. Turn it out and let cool for few minutes.
TADA!!


The yummy soup!

 
*sorry for the crappy image, took it with me phone.
I don't really measure when I make soups. I just add til it tastes great! :-)

Start with a Mirepoix.
That's the fancy word Martha taught me for the carrots, celery, onion (and sometimes garlic)
sautéed in butter/olive oil in your stew pot. The carrots need a small head start. Now let this "sweat."
The onions will be almost clear.
I usually get a rotisserie chicken from the local market store, strip the meat and through it in the pot.
Add about 4 cups of chicken stock, or you can do water and chicken bouillon. You may need to add more than that, depending on how much you are making. 

Now is when I season with rosemary and thyme, cumin (i use this stuff in almost everything. LOVE IT!) and minced garlic. I also add pepper and a tiny bit of salt. It is usually pretty salty, depending on the stock you use.I let this simmer for a little while, maybe 10 minutes. 
Now you don't want to add the potatoes until about 12 minutes before you serve it. They will turn to mush. I like to use about 4 red potatoes.You can also add the noodles around the same time. I dump some egg noodles in and let it boil for a little while until they are nice and smooshy.
You can also add any other vegetables you want. Green beans, peas, corn, black beans, etc.


1 comment:

  1. you're a cumin freak like me!?! NO WAY! Sah-weeet! I adore cumin in almost anything too! we rock! (I just got a gigantic thing of it at Costco!) we love soups so I'll give that a shot sometime, and oh, that bread looks so delish!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop